with rooibos tea
- INGREDIENTS NEEDED:
- Rooibos tea 6gm (2 teaspoons)
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons of spice mix: cinnamon and ginger
- 1 teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda
- Writing icing tube (white)
- 75g butter
- 175 plain flour plus extra 75 g for flouring
- 75 g brown sugar
- 40 g Golden syrup
- INSTRUCTIONS FOR SHORTBREAD:
- Pre heat oven to 180°C and get a baking tray ready. Lightly grease a spoon with a little butter, now add the golden syrup to a saucepan, gently warm and add the 75g of butter, stir until melted.
- Then add 75g of brown sugar, heat gently and stir until all the sugar has dissolved. Add 2 level teaspoons of rooibos tea to the fillable teabag, dip the tea bag into hot water then submerge the rooibos tea in the syrup mixture and move the tea bag through the mixture with a wooden spoon, leave for around 15 minutes.
- Weight out 175g of plain flour, add 1 rounded teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda and the spice mix to the flour and stir until well mixed.
- Now add the egg and the warm syrup mix to the flour some of the flour. Use clean hands to make a soft dough, cover and place in the fridge to cool for 20 minutes. Remove the dough from the fridge and lightly flour a clean surface and a rolling pin, gently roll the dough, add a little more flour if it's sticky.
- Use a cookie cutter to cut the shapes you want. Add the shapes to a baking tray and bake for around 10 mins until golden brown. Remove from the oven and let cool. Before decorating with the writing icing. Enjoy !