Rooibos Cinnamon Bun Recipe
with cinnamon + vanilla rooibos frosting
Warm, gooey cinnamon rolls topped with rooibos infused cream cheese frosting.
For the filling:
- 150g of brown sugar
- 3 tbsp of butter
- 2 tsp of cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp of vanilla essence
- Preheat oven to 190C. Then combine all dry ingredients: flour, (40g) sugar, and salt. Then melt the butter and combine with the dry mix. Add the milk, and stir until combined. Place the dough on a well floured surface and add flour until it forms a non sticky ball.
- Add an extra dusting of flour to the top of the ball and then lay a sheet of greaseproof paper on top. Use of rolling pin to roll out a large rectangle (approx: 25cm x 30cm). Place the dough in the fridge to chill for 15-20 minutes, then start preparing the filling.
- Combine both types of sugar, melted butter, vanilla and cinnamon until this forms a paste. Remove dough from the fridge and spread the paste on top, leaving around 1cm at the edges.
- Carefully roll the dough tightly using the longer dimension. If needed, place the dough in the freezer to allow easier rolling/cutting. Cut the log into even segments (approx 2-3cm). Place a greaseproof sheet into the baking pan, and place the rolls into the tray (cut facing upwards)
- Bake on 190C for 25-30 minutes until golden brown, then start preparing the icing.
- Now for the cream cheese topping: In a mixer, combine the cream cheese, soft butter, vanilla and sugar.
- Add 250ml of water and 200g of sugar to a pan, heat until the sugar is dissolved. Add a heaped tablespoon of Dream Catcher tea and simmer for 10 minutes. Leave to cool.
- Strain syrup through a sieve, and then add to the icing mixture. Push to whole mixture through a sieve to remove the larger pieces of rooibos. Spread the icing over the cinnamon buns and enjoy!