Sticky Toffee Loaf
with english breakfast
- 1 tablespoon of Organic English Breakfast tea
- 180g self raising flour
- 200g of soft dates
- 90g of butter
- 1tsp cinnamon or mixed spice
- 2 beaten eggs
- 180g of soft brown sugar
- For the sauce: 80g of butter
- 80g of light brown sugar
- 120 ml of double cream
- Pre heat oven to 180C ( turn down to 165-170C for fan assisted ovens )
- Lightly grease and flour a loaf tin, then beat butter and sugar together in a mixer until creamy.
- Mix together the flour and spice, add to the creamed butter along with the eggs and beat until combined.
- Add the dates to the saucepan, add boiling water to the tea in a measuring jug or beaker to 270 ml and brew for 2 minutes. Strain the leaves and keep 250 ml of the tea.
- Add the tea to the dates and simmer for around 4-5 minutes until the dates break up into the mixture. Add the bicarbonate of soda to the mixture it will froth up nicely, now fold into the flour mixture straight away.
- Pour into the loaf tin, the mixture will be quite runny, then bake for 45 mins or until a knife comes out clean from the loaf.
- For the sauce: Add the ingredients to a pan, stir and simmer until the sugar has fully dissolved and the sauce is a light toffee colour. Drizzle over the top of the pudding. This recipe freezes really well so why not double the recipe and freeze the second loaf for the festive season.